A v i s t a blog post is a 500-1000 word career story, or profile. Examples are here.
Some prompts for writing a v i s t a blog post are below (you don’t have to cover them all in detail, indeed not all may be relevant to your role, but this is what our researchers will want to know in order to help them make decisions about their next move).
The main thing is that you should feel free to write informally in a style that represents you.
- A brief overview of your career path
- How did you come to do the job you do now, and why did you leave academia?
- Please describe what you do now in a sentence or two?
- Is there any other name your role can be called – or any roles similar in remit?
- What are the main functions of your role?
- Where does your role sit in the organisational structure?
- Is your workplace diverse/inclusive: culturally, gender balance, political?
- What’s your work environment like? (If you can, please include a photo or two of your desk/office or another workplace).
- Which people, groups or bodies do you interact/liaise/communicate with most?
- What’s a typical ‘week in the life’ in your role (if possible please include a screen shot of an example week in your diary).
- What are the projects you have ongoing right now?
- What’s it like to work in your job compared to doing research in academia? (pros and cons):
- What was transferring from academia to a new career like in your experience?
- What are the top 3 experiences/skills do you recommend our researchers develop in order to be competitive in your type of role?
- Is it important to have a PhD to do your job, is it recognised?
- What’s your career tip or word of wisdom to researchers leaving academia?
- Where can researchers look for jobs like yours?
- What professional/accrediting bodies, or qualifications are relevant to where you work?
I also require between 1 and 4 photos of you, your work, of that represent you/your work (please only send images you own the copyright on.)